Sunday, August 31, 2008

Making Laundry Soap from Scratch

I wanted to try it for a while now, and I finally did. I made my own laundry soap and I really like it. I have 2 gallons of soap for under one dollar. I really like the feeling and smell of clean without the perfume smell. I got the recipe from the Living on a Dime newsletter. Here it is:
1/3 bar Fels Naptha Laundry Soap-grated,
6 cups water
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax
Heat the water and soap in a large pan until dissolved. Stir in washing soda and Borax. Mix and heat until dissolved. Boil 15 minutes. Remove from heat. In a 3 or 5 gallon bucket, ad 1 quart of hot water, then add the soap mixture. Mix. Add enough cold water to make a 2 gallon mixture. Mix until well blended. Let sit 24 hours. The soap will gel. Use 1/2 cup for each load.

Stir or shake before each use.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Hi guys! Haven't tried the laundry soap from scratch yet, but when I run out of my almost-free stuff from the drugstore I just might:)

wendyc said...

Wow! Home made laundry soap is so creative. We'll have to try it!